Thursday 3 July 2014

Solar Storage Unit starting to come together

I've got all the bits I need at last, and the external case is being built and should be here in a couple of weeks.

All components are being mounted on a spare cupboard door I had lying around which happened to be the ideal size.

Four rubber feet on the bottom of it with the signal and sense wiring to the controller on the underside, and the DC and AC high power connections on top.

All the DC solid state relays are mounted on small heatsinks with their own fan, controlled by a 70 degree C switch mounted on the heatsink.

The past couple of days I've been mounting the heatsinks, fitting the fans and done the positive DC wiring:-


The heatsinks came with one milled flat space for one SSR, but the top right one required two SSRs fitting, so I had to finish fitting a new DC motor to my CNC mill so I could use that to mill the whole of that heatsink flat so it would accept two SSRs. All things that take time!

You can see fitted to each heatsink the little temperature controlled switches, they just look like transistors. Better than the old style thermostat type switches. The fans require 12V 0.25A which these will handle with ease. I will also add a second feed to all the fans, via diodes, so that the controller can turn them all on when the overall temp in the unit case gets too high. The inverters are also getting one of these temp switches each which will feed into the controller to let it know that inverter is too hot. I also have different style temp switches that I'll (try to) fit in between the battery cells. I want to be able to monitor all parts of the system and either not use parts that have failed (or are just too hot) or shut the whole thing down.

Tomorrow I'll finish the negative DC high power wiring and then the controller wiring, and then mount the inverters and finally the AC wiring side.

This board will sit next to the battery in the case, with the charger unit suspended above this board on its own little shelf. I've also got two temperature speed controlled fans which will get mounted in the case, left and right.

I know this project has kind of grown from a few parts that were going to just be assembled on a desk, to something that monitors itself in loads of ways and will shut off if needed, so it can be put in a garage and completely forgotten about by anyone.

I just hope that at the end of it, my solar panels produce enough extra power to charge the battery in a typical day!



Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment